Adding map points - IT sent to me in different formats...
  • Our IT guy send me hydrant info in the following formats:
    -dbf
    -sbn
    -sbx
    -shp
    -shx

Knowing absolutely NOTHING about mapping, I don't know what to do with these files. 
    Gary Dillon, Firefighter/Active911 Admin.
    Crozet Vol. Fire Dept.
    Crozet, VA
    www.crozetfire.org
  • That is actually just one format; each of those files provides information on recreating the data on a map. This is called a shape file. We are still working on being able to add shape files. Right now we are only able to process the csv and kml files, which he should be able to generate for you in about 5 minutes, if they do not already have them on hand.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
    https://www.active911.com/Contact
  • Do you mean that my IT guy should be able to export the shape files to csv or kml format?
    Crozet Vol. Fire Dept.
    Crozet, VA
    www.crozetfire.org
  • Gary, what mapping program is your IT exporting from? Most municipalities use ArcMap or ArcNet, an Esri product.  This software has the ability to export your data in a number of different formats, csv, kml and shape file being some of those (also PDF, images, etc).

I think to make things simple, you want to ask for your hydrant layer exported as a csv file and it will need to include the lat/long for each hydrant as well as a name for each hydrant (usually expressed as the hydrant number, eg: 001, 002, 003...)  With this, you can download the sample csv file that Active911 has a link to in the help file. Open it and your csv's up in Excel and compare the layout.  Being Excel, it is fairly simple to re-arrange the columns to match the format that Active911 wants.

Or, I'm sure there are a number of us here that would be willing to help format your csv file once IT is able to export it for you.

Good luck!
  • If your gis department is like mine they will tell you all they can do is shp files. So I figured it out myself. http://www.inquiron.com/online-file-converter/ Here is a online tool to convert from a shp to KML. Take all those files put them in a folder and zip it. Then drag it into the KML converter. If you need help msg me and we can get in touch on the phone ill walk you through it. Hope this helps brother.
  • Thanks Chad and Brian. I have emailed your comments to our IT guy. If he can't solve it, Brian, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks!
    Crozet Vol. Fire Dept.
    Crozet, VA
    www.crozetfire.org
  • ArcGIS can export to from any GIS format into KML.  You should be able to ask the IT/GIS guy to do that