Sending Alerts from the Mobile App
  • So I have been using the send alert feature to all my volunteer staff when I'm out on extended incidents. Is there any way that this feature could be added into the iOS app for approved people to use? Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
  • Yes, we are planning on adding the ability to send alerts from devices, probably in the next update. This will most likely be controlled by a permissions setting, like it is now on the web console.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
    https://www.active911.com/Contact
  • This is something that we have definitely wanted at our agency for sending recalls. Our fire chief and shift supervisors want to use it to send recalls for structure fires and large incidents. Easier from the app than the web console when your at the incident.
    Zach Marvin
    Union, OH Fire Dept
  • Just as the other have stated this would be an excellent way for our chief officers and shift officer to be able to do a call back instead of going thru the dispatch center and having tones dropped as everybody has their phone on them and not so much a pager anymore.
  • We are doing this now using the email address. We built a group called "All-call", put everyone's device into it, told it to override duty status and then the chiefs have the special email address for that group. They can then send an email from their mobile phone (or dispatch can as well) with special messages.  I'd still love to see the ability to do it from the mobile app but this is a good solution until we have that (and it works for chiefs with Blackberries and Android phones).
  • As part of this, I would like to have the ability to send alerts to everyone, and also to those on scene. We are a Search and Rescue team and on ground searches, it would be nice to send a page with search updates to those that are on scene without disturbing those that are not.
  • I agree, but it should be something very simple such as a extra button on the alarm alert screen on the device that says additional manpower. That way on extended scenes or large incidents the IC or Comm Officer or even saftey can go to the call and press the additional manpower button which will then alert that page group which will resend the call your working call. Just my 2 cents!

Dorian

• I see that this thread has been quiet for a few months.  Is there a status on the estimated time for a software update to include the mobile messaging ability?  All we really need is a simple messaging screen from the mobile apps to include fields for Title, Group, and Message.  Any other fields are nice, but that is all that we really need for general communications.
  • It's slated to come soon, but we just created a google group on our domain and made it something like allcall@domain.com which the only recipient is the @activ911.com email address for the allcall group that we created.  That group overrides the duty status so that we make sure the alert gets out to everyone regardless of their settings.  Then you can just send an email from your phone to that easy to remember address that you create and the message will go out over Active911.
  • I have full rights to 2 different departments and I added my self to be able to send alerts, but I still see no way to send alerts. Is there something I need to do to make this work?
  • Trent, are you using iOS or android?  The feature is out for Android, and gets release for iOS in the next couple weeks (the beta testers are testing it right now)
  • Anymore updates on this anyone for the IOS users ???
  • We've spent the last week waiting for Apple to review it.  Should be out very soon!
  • I just did the ios update and I can see the pen icon to send an alert but it is gray and will not allow allow me to click on it or send an alert from the app. I've made all the recommended settings changes.
  • I also have downloaded the update, and see the pencil icon.... however it is grey'd out and not accessible.
  • I have the pen icon and it's blue. Though when I open it I can only send pages to one fire department (I'm with 3) and there isn't an ability to switch or choose a different department to page out to. Is there instructions or a patch coming out for this issue?

I am the admin for 2 of the departments, but the one I am able to page out for I am only a member and don't have granted access for alerts, yet I can send them from my phone.
  • I also have downloaded the update, and see the pencil icon.... however it is grey'd out and not accessible.
  • You have to login to the MEMBER ACCESS panel. Go to the DEVICES tab and click on the member that will be allowed to send alerts from the app. You will see a box with the words SEND ALERTS, click on it and that member will be authorized to send alerts from the app.
  • I am having the same issue as Max H. I am not an admin of my ems station but i am full admin of my fire station, yet i can not send an alert.
  • To clarify...

GFD - Admin (set up the account for the department), full privileges online, can't send alerts or pages from the phone application, also don't have the ability to switch or select it as an option to send alerts.

OSFD - Admin (set up the account for the department), full privileges online, can't send alerts or pages from the phone application, also don't have the ability to switch or select it as an option to send alerts.

SBFD - member, login and view privileges, CAN send alerts from my phone to this department. Though I shouldn't be able to as a member with only login and view privileges online.

I have tried resetting my phone and the app, as well as hard resets for both. Any suggestions or fixes?
  • All of these problems are being caused by the same thing. 

Even if you are an admin for a department, that doesn't mean your phone is an admin.  In other words, you have permissions to log into the website and change anything you wish, but you have to grant your phone "send alert" permissions before it can send alerts.  The system doesn't automatically "know" that you want your phone to send alerts (might be a security issue for some folks).

Rickey J.'s instructions are correct.  I'll repeat them here:

You have to login to the MEMBER ACCESS panel. Go to the DEVICES tab and click on the member that will be allowed to send alerts from the app. You will see a box with the words SEND ALERTS, click on it and that member will be authorized to send alerts from the app.

Do this for each department for which you want to send alerts.

Now restart the app (or phone, if necessary).  You should see the blue pencil available and be able to send alerts for any of the allowed departments.

• Thank you. It worked.

Does the android app have this function, if so where would it be located?

I only have an iPhone but other admin/ Chiefs have android and I don't know where this feature would be for them.
  • It's in the dropdown menu in Android.  Or you can long press on the map.
  • I just restarted my iPhone and the blue pen came up. It let me fill in the blanks but when I send it out it says "unauthorized". Did I miss something?
  • Disregard the last comment. I must have not given it enough time to reset. It is working now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion